CDC Concussion Course
The CDC Concussion Course is required by each coach and manager and Board member/top volunteer.
This course is completed through your Got Soccer coach, manager, personal profile.
Please follow the instructions below:
Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports is a free, online course available to coaches, parents, and others helping to keep athletes safe from concussion. It features interviews with leading experts, dynamic graphics and interactive exercises, and compelling storytelling to help you recognize a concussion and know how to respond if you think that your athlete might have a concussion.
It is important you take the test AFTER FIRST SIGNING ONTO your personal GotSoccer coach account as then GotSoccer will automatically record your certificate. This is the best way to confirm to the Club you've taken and passed the CDC course. Second best? Just email the certificate to Eloise Batic.
Here are the steps to take:
1. Become familiar with all information on this page: http://www.usaofindiana.org/Default.aspx?tabid=908365
2. Review the course materials and study ahead http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/youth.html
3. Review the actual test. (Remember you first must log into GotSoccer coach account and take the test online to get the certificate recorded in your GotSoccer account.)
4. Personal experience: best to first be sure you have an updated Flash. http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/ While taking test, if your flash crashes, do not exit, do not refresh. Instead click on the small X to close the test screen box. This should allow you to continue next section of the test. It is a complete pain to start over as there is no way to accelerate through the video presentations
5. ALLOW 30 MINUTES to complete course.
· Sign onto your personal "Coach" sign on. https://www.gotsport.com/asp/coaches/login.asp
· On the Coach Account line, click on Concussion Center. (See attached webpage example.)
· Select: Center for Disease Control (CDC) Heads Up Concussion Test
· Take course/check be sure your account status shows you've pass the test. (You may wish to print to file your certificate (see attached) as an increasing number of states may require you to provide the certificate to coach in a tournament in that state.)
Note: Concussion prevention/management is an important skill for you.
Any athlete with a suspected concussion should be IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FROM PLAY, urgently assessed medically, should not be left alone, and closely monitored on the sideline for any worsening of signs or symptoms. Any athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury in a practice or game shall be removed from play at the time of the injury; and may not return to play until the athlete has received a written clearance by a medical professional.
Each USA of Indiana travel coach must take the CDC’s free, online CONCUSSION course.
In short: When in doubt, sit them out.